top of page

What’s The Difference Between A Psychologist And A Psychiatrist?

Updated: Dec 24, 2021

What’s the difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist?

Do you know what a psychologist does? Do you know the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist?

In this article, we answer these questions. We discuss the types of professionals that will treat your mental health illness and the most common medications for depression and anxiety.

This part 2 of a 3 part series on mental health during infertility or after baby loss.

In part 1, we talked about recognising the symptoms of common mental health conditions and taking the first steps to get medical help.

In part 3, we cover tips to reduce short term overwhelm and stress, plus groups and forums to gain support.

As always, you can click on the links in the blogs to be directed to trusted information sources. A list of resources is also found at the end of each blog.

If you are worried about your mental health, book an appointment with your GP or a psychologist for assessment and appropriate treatment.

See or Speak To Your GP

If you have persistent symptoms that affect your daily life, speak to your GP, make an appointment to see your GP or call NHS 111 in confidence. Your GP will ask you questions as part of their assessment. They will make a diagnosis and discuss the next steps with you.

Depending on where you live, your GP may make a referral to the local improving access to talking therapies service (IAPT) or refer you to a mental health team to decide the types of therapy that can help you.

Your GP may also recommend and prescribe medication such as antidepressant drugs.

Contact The NHS Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) Service

In England, you can contact your local NHS talking therapies service, also known as 'Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) '. IAPT offers evidence-based psychological therapies to people with anxiety disorders and depression.

You’ll be asked to complete a questionnaire on the website then an initial assessment is arranged by phone. Afterwards, depending on the outcome of your assessment, treatment options will be presented to you. Therapy such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) or counselling may be offered, in person, by phone or online.

Click on this link and enter your postcode to find the website for your local IAPT service. Once you are on the local website, look for the referral or self-referral page.

How to Find a Private psychologist

Psychologists, also known as counsellors, are trained to assess mental health conditions and provide psychotherapy. These services are available in person, by phon